Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Veggies

Raised veggie beds + greenhouse. Don't ask me why there's a snow shovel out there, I have no idea. Pulled it out of one of the beds as I was weeding.

Pinto beans and peas. The board is for a hand/foot support while I'm working in the middle of the bed, to keep from falling in or having to step on my nicely aerated and tilled soil. The whisky barrels contain "invasive" plants, currently spearmint and lemon balm. I don't want them to take over an entire bed!

Veggie beds + greenhouse. Salvaged tiles in paths. Still not sure what I'll do for *around* the tiles - not sure the Corsican Mint is going to take.

More salvaged tiles in garden paths. This is the far left side of the garden, what was the most neglected for the past year or two, and what obviously still needs some work. The left hand bed is what I used to use for my compost pile, so it's still pretty out of control with weeds and some extra boards from bed construction.

Pea trellis in the foreground, compost piles in the background.

Future watermelon patch. Newly planted peach and pear trees in the background, but you can't really see them in the photo - if you look closely enough, you can see the mulch from two of them.

The veggie garden is almost completely weeded. Peas are up, their trellis is in, 6/8 raised beds have soaker hoses and mulch in. I pulled the soakers out of two of the beds so they could be roto-tilled, since they got a fair amount of foot traffic as the greenhouse roof was going on this spring. The blackberries and raspberries are booming, and I've been giving them a few hours of soaker hose moisture each day. I transplanted pinto beans into the same bed with the peas this afternoon and gave them a good soaking. He tilled up the patch that will be watermelons this year yesterday - I prefer raised beds, but he likes to grow a giant pumpkin each summer, and they're such sprawlers, they really can't be contained in a raised bed. So in order to maintain a 3 year crop rotation, we need three beds of that size. I'm not sure what we'll put in the 3rd one yet, since this is our first year with multiple beds of that size. Last summer he was living in Florida, so no giant pumpkin, and the year before, he lost his pumpkin when it was "only" 75 lbs to some sort of pest. I got the paths all raked (all the weeds pulled from the beds, and cut from the paths) and salvaged tiles upside down as stepping stones in most of them. Not bad for such a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment