Monday, May 30, 2011

Granddaddy Frogs

People always ask me where I bought my frogs, but the answer is, I didn't buy them. When we first put the pond in, we did look around for frogs. The pet stores were unhelpful - they had frogs, but they didn't know what they were or where they were from in the case of anything that looked like it might possibly be a native species. Obviously the tropicals were out, but we did want to get a native species, not something that might cause a problem in the ecosystem, since we were just plopping it into our backyard and hoping for the best. One of my favorite greenhouses has a large water garden display full of frogs, so we asked the proprietor there if the frogs were for sale. He glared at us like we were the amphibious equivalent of the DEA and said they weren't. For all I know, it's illegal to sell native frogs. 

So we figured we'd just be frog-less. We finished the pond, stocked it with some fish, and next thing you know, we heard frogs singing out there. If you build it, they will come!
sent from my Android phone

No comments:

Post a Comment