Sunday, March 13, 2011

Re-Working

Today, I went out and re-mulched all the beds that I'd already done once, but had the wind undo. I raked up most of the straw out of the paths and the leeward side of the garden, and just tossed it in the compost pile, since it was hopelessly tangled with all manner of dead weeds. I've still got two beds left to prep - one is cleared of weeds, but needs a new soaker hose laid and mulch. The other will be a more arduous task - in the beginning, I used a bed as my compost pile, a different one each year. It made for good rich soil in that bed the next year, but the bigger the garden gets, the more compost it generates, and it just doesn't fit anymore, so now I have 4 piles in the gaps between the trees in the back. The last bed I used as a compost pile still has those remnants in it, so there are some things still not broken down, a lot of weeds, and a big hump of good rich dirt in the middle. So that's on my list for sometime within the next week or two. And I'm going to need another trip to Southern States for more straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment