Thursday, March 24, 2011

Etc...

It rained almost all day today. Glorious thunderstorms this afternoon/evening. I love thunderstorms, but it's not great gardening weather...

It did let off for long enough to go out and do some more figgerin' on the greenhouse. Basically, the only things that are left to do in order to make it usable are the vents around the bottom and the doors. And fix 4 panes from one window that were damaged in the windstorm a week or two ago. I'm hoping to at least have temporary doors on it by the end of this weekend - I bought a roll of 6 mil plastic for that purpose. For the permanent doors, I'm going to need headers, sills, and all manner of time consuming nonsense. But plastic (and 4 panes of glass, and flaps for the vents) will get it to a point where I can move the seedlings on my dining room table out there before they get much leggier.

I hate when people leave cards stuck to my mailbox, on stakes in my yard, and in my door, but I actually called the number for a place that left a business card on my porch last week - I need to get a price on pea gravel for the greenhouse floor, and it was a local guy who does all manner of gravel and stone, plus we were going to get a quote on our driveway. What do I hate more than litter on my property? Unprofessional/weird voicemail messages! I didn't leave a message, too annoying. The Mr can call if he wants, or I'll do it when I'm feeling a little more tolerant.

I started reading through all the paperwork that came with my shipment of mushroom spores. Imagine my surprise when I realized that they need to be planted almost immediately, and I need three gallons of spent coffee grounds for one of them. I bought "The "Espresso Oyster" Mushroom Patch™" with the intention of recycling more of my coffee grounds (because I drink more coffee than I should, and more than what needs to go on my regular compost piles), but I hadn't actually started saving the grounds by themselves yet, since I didn't get information about how much of what I would need until I received the spores in the mail with instructions to plant them within a week. So now I'm off to one of my favorite coffee shops in the morning to see how long it will take them to come up with 3 gallons of spent coffee grounds and whether they mind saving them for me. I may need a whole new fridge for mushroom spore storage, seed stratification, etc... soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment