Monday, March 19, 2012

Solarizing


I'm expanding one of the beds, over on the other side of the pond from the patio. Partially because I always kinda wished this bed was larger, and partially because I just got a truckload of free perennials (although the donor agreed to let me bring her a truckload of compost and some lilacs) that have no homes yet. She got tired of weeding and fighting off bugs, plus she got stung by a gazillion wasps after she disturbed a nest last summer, so she's converting her yard to mostly shrubs and trees. 

Actually, that was pretty funny - she came up to me at an event hosted by the local art league, where I'm an active volunteer, confirmed that I was me, and that I was "the gardener", and then asked me if I wanted to come dig up and haul away all of her perennials. Of course I did! So Himself and I went over on Sunday and dug up *some* of her perennials - a few clumps each of daylilies (orange, some double), irises (mostly purple, possibly a few peach), 4 rose bushes, a big heavy dense clump of black eyed susans that took *both* the menfolk to get out of the ground, some stonecrop, and a little clump of bee balm. I planted a few items today, and I'm hoping to get most of the rest in, at least in a temporary location, tomorrow. What I usually do with stuff I don't have time to plant yet is stage it in one of the vacant spots in the vegetable beds, which are plentiful at this early stage. And of course, when I get a big load of free or super cheap stuff, I always share the love with some of my local garden loving family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment